Underworld: Blood Wars
Underworld: Blood Wars is a 2016 American action horror film directed by Anna Foerster (in her directorial debut). It is the fifth installment in the Underworld franchise and the sequel to Underworld: Awakening (2012), with Kate Beckinsale reprising her role as Selene. The main cast also includes Theo James, Tobias Menzies, Lara Pulver, Peter Andersson, Clementine Nicholson, Bradley James, and Charles Dance.
Principal photography began on October 19, 2015 in Prague, Czech Republic. The film was released on December 1, 2016 in various countries, including India, El Salvador, Australia, and New Zealand, and will subsequently be released in the United States on January 06, 2017 by Screen Gems.
Vampire death dealer Selene (Kate Beckinsale) continues her struggle against the Lycan clan and the Vampire faction that betrayed her, with both sides trying to use the blood of her and her daughter to become Corvinus Strain hybrids. After hiding her daughter, Selene, David (Theo James) and his father Thomas (Charles Dance), attempt to end the eternal war between Lycans and Vampires, though Selene must take a risk that may cost her her life.
- Kate Beckinsale as Selene, a Death Dealer and a now Nordic Enhanced, Vampire-Corvinus Strain Hybrid.
- Theo James as David, a Vampire-Corvinus Strain Hybrid (formerly a Pure-Born Vampire), and Selene’s protégé and ally.
- Tobias Menzies as Marius, a Lycan leader and the film’s main antagonist.
- Lara Pulver as Semira, a fiercely ambitious Vampire who is the film’s secondary antagonist.
- Clementine Nicholson as Lena, the Nordic Coven’s greatest warrior and daughter of Vidar.
- Bradley James as Varga, the villain.
- Charles Dance as Thomas, a Vampire Elder and David’s father.
- James Faulkner as Cassius
- Daisy Head as Alexia
- Peter Andersson as Vidar, the elder of the Nordic Coven
- Brian Caspe as Hajna
- Trent Garrett as Michael Corvin, a Lycan-Vampire Hybrid and Selene’s lover. Garrett replaces Scott Speedman, who played the role in two of the previous four films. Speedman appears in archived footage from Underworld and Underworld: Evolution for key scenes in Blood Wars.
- Sveta Driga as Amelia, replacing Zita Görög, who played the role in the first two films, following her retirement from acting. Görög appears in archived footage from Underworld: Evolution for several key scenes in Blood Wars.
- Oliver Stark as Gregor
India Eisley who portrayed as Eve in the fourth film, appears in archived footage from the fourth film and a stand-in’s portrayal in a distance and later an unconscious state.
Initially the film was set for an October 21, 2016 release. After announcement about release delay, the film’s earliest release date became November 24, 2016 when the film was released in Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Kazakhstan, followed by December 1, 2016 release in various countries such as El Salvador, Australia, Angola by CINEMAX and New Zealand. It will be released in the U.S. on February 16 and in the U.K. on February 3, 2017.