Split is a 2016 American psychological horror thriller film directed and written by M. Night Shyamalan. The film stars James McAvoy, Anya Taylor-Joy, Jessica Sula, Haley Lu Richardson and Betty Buckley. The film has been described as a thematic sequel to the 2000 film Unbreakable. Principal photography began on November 11, 2015, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The film premiered at Fantastic Fest on September 26, 2016 and will be released on January 20, 2017, by Universal Pictures.
After a downright wholesome teen birthday party, three girls are kidnapped in broad daylight: friends Claire (Haley Lu Richardson) and Marcia (Jessica Sula), and difficult outsider Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy, “The Witch”). Their captor (McAvoy) locks the trio in a windowless room, then proceeds to frighten and baffle them. One minute he’s bespectacled and obsessive about cleanliness, the next he’s presenting as female, and later he acts like a nine-year-old boy.
- James McAvoy as Kevin: A sufferer of dissociative identity disorder who kidnaps the teenage girls. Kevin has several prominent personalities, each with something peculiar or dangerous for his captives.
- Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey
- Betty Buckley as Dr. Karen Fletcher
- Jessica Sula as Marcia
- Haley Lu Richardson as Claire
- Kim Director as Hannah
- Lyne Renée as Academic Moderator
- Brad William Henke as Uncle John
- Neal Huff as Claire’s father
- Sebastian Arcelus
The film is scheduled to be released on January 20, 2017 in United States and Canada.